Being a popular device opens tons of opportunities to Android developers to show their excellence and brilliance through building mods, custom Roms and other useful stuff. But sometimes using them leads to dead device or simply to brick condition. In some cases, some functionality of device stop working or behaves differently. To resolve that brick condition and bring back the device to it’s working state, flashing stock firmware would be the ideal option. The same applies to Galaxy S5, if you have bricked your Samsung Galaxy S5 or it behaving in wrong way, than installing a stock firmware will repair it perfectly.
So we will flash a stock firmware to unbrick the Samsung S5 using Odin utility software. It is idea for many conditions such as hanging, low performance, stuck on boot, auto restarting and many other conditions. The stock firmware will turn Galaxy S5 to its pure original state, like it was when you purchased it. All data stored under the phone’s memory, installed apps, downloaded stuff and other data will be wiped out from phone’s memory.
To unbrick the Samsung Galaxy S5 we will using the official stock firmware built for it and flash it using the Odin program. We recommend to follow the exact and all steps listed here to successfully restore the device to its native state. Before going any further, read all the pre-requisites listed below and prepare the device accordingly.
- The stock firmware listed here and this guide are only meant for Samsung’s Galaxy S5 model and it meant nothing for any other handset. So firstly make sure that you have Galaxy S5 handset not the other one.
- Remember, installing the stock firmware will remove all the stuff stored, installed and everything from the internal memory. If possible then you should back all the data stored under the phone’s memory. Follow our easy to follow Android backup guide to do it quickly.
- Remember, it will remove the installed custom recovery and any other third-party mod from the device. Recovery will be replaced with official stock recovery.
- You need a Windows-based PC with internet connectivity. Odin program can executed only on Windows-based PC. Also need a USB Cable to connect the device to PC.
- Download and install the Samsung USB drivers from here. It is necessary that you install drivers of your device on your PC otherwise Odin won’t detect your device.
- If possible, charge the device to good battery level.
Get the official stock firmware file from here based on your device model. Extract the zip to desire place on your PC. Under it look for tar.md5 file, we will be using it.
→To check the model of your device, go to Settings->About device->Model number.
Download the Odin tool from here. → Extract it get Odin3 v3.09.exe named file. We will be using it.
How to install stock firmware on Samsung Galaxy S5
- Firstly on your PC run the Odin program, run the Odin3 v3.09.exe file from extracted zip.
- Now turn off the device.
- Press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power buttons to boot into download mode. Further press Volume Up to confirm the entry.
- Now connect the device to PC through USB cable. Look on Odin program, Added! message will appear under the Message box and ID:Com section will turn to blue or yellow. If nothing then install the USB drivers first and try it again.
- On Odin program, click on ‘AP’ option then find and locate the tar.md5 file from the extracted firmware file.
- Make sure that “Re-Partition” box is unchecked and don’t make any other changes.
- Click on “Start” button to begin the process. Wait until a Pass! message gets appeared under ID:Com section.
- Now you can remove the device from PC.
Now you phone has been restored to its original state. So that’s all about our guide on how to restore or unbrick Samsung Galaxy S5 using official stock firmware.