Samsung Galaxy S2, the phone which brought Samsung to top of mobile brands in year 2011 when it was launched, is not yet opted for KitKat update, it may be possible that it won’t be getting it in future because of its old hardware, and few other aspects. But who cares whether Samsung roll out an update or not, there is a manual way to get it. We should be very thankful to developers who regularly brings tons of Roms, mods, and other tweaks to update, and improve our devices.
For Samsung Galaxy S2, a custom Rom named ‘SuperNexus‘ has been distributed by a recognized developer of XDA named “Faryaab”, at XDA forum. Current version of the Rom is v4 and it might be getting up in future. Now lets discuss about this Rom in brief, this Rom is based on official Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware, and it’s almost untouched. So, you’ll be having a complete stock firmware with some modifications for enhanced, and improved user experience.
It’s actually look what its name suggests. It will give you a complete Nexus 5 experience on your Samsung Galaxy S2 along with many useful advance utilities. To make it more lighter, all bloatware (useless) apps has been removed from the firmware, and also no 3rd party apps has been added to it. It comes with pre-root, so you don’t have to root it anymore.
For more information regarding to this Rom, and its features list, you must visit XDA thread here. Read all the pre-requisites listed below very carefully, and prepare your device according to them.
- This Rom is especially designed, and developed for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 model, and it meant nothing for any other device.
- It comes with pre-root, which mean it will void your device warranty, and somewhat it is against the terms and condition for mobile manufacturing company. So be sure to install it.
- To install it successfully, it is necessary to have Custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) installed on the device. Without it, you won’t be able to flash this Rom. If you haven’t installed it yet, then first installed it (CWM or TWRP whichever you want), and then install this Rom.
- Backup your installed apps, games, and downloaded files stored in phone’s memory. The installation process will wipe out the phone’s memory completely, and which cannot be undo. Go through this guide to backup apps with their data.
- As we always recommends, backup your current Rom for future usage. Just in case if something goes wrong or simply you want your old Rom back then, using the backup you can easily switch back to old Rom. Go through this guide to backup Rom of Android phone.
- Enable the USB debugging on the device. Go phone’s Settings->Developer’s options->check the USB Debugging box, and you’re ready to go.
- Make sure to charge your phone at least 50%. It should be able to survive until we finish with updating with phone.
→ Get the SuperNexus firmware zip file from here. (SuperNexus-4.0-i9100-BUILD1.zip)
→ Get the Gapps package from http://opengapps.org or get them directly to your phone through this guide.
Installation guide: Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Galaxy S2
- Download firmware, and Gapps package from download section, and put them to SD card of the device. Remember the name, and location of the files.
- Turn off the phone and wait for 5-7 seconds at least.
- Turn on the phone in recovery mod by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together until it get started. Once it on, release the buttons, and you’ll be redirected to recovery mode soon.
- Under recovery mode, perform the followings:
- Select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”, perform them by selecting “yes” on next screen.
- Under Advance option, select “wipe dalvik cache” then select “yes” to confirm it to further process.
- From main menu, select “install zip from sd card” then “choose zip from sd card”, now find, and locate the firmware zip file (SuperNexus-4.0-i9100-BUILD1.zip), then select “yes” on next screen to confirm the process. It will take some minutes to complete.
- Once it get finished, flash the Gapps zip package in similar way.
- Once you done with flashing both the files, get to main menu of recovery mode, there select “reboot system now”. Your phone will be rebooting to home screen.
For the first time, it can take some longer time. So don’t worry about it, it is normal. If you have problem or needed any help then let us know through your comments.