How to Update Xiaomi Redmi 4X to Android 8.1 using LineageOS 15.1
Nowadays, most of the OEMs are rolling out the Android 8 Oreo updates to their Smartphones. You might be waiting for the same. Officially, it might take some long time. If you don’t want to wait anymore, just follow this guide. In this tutorial, we’ll help to update Xiaomi Redmi 4X to Android 8.1 Oreo using LineageOS 15.1 custom Rom. Getting updated helps to stay in touch with the latest features, applications, and brings performance improvements. Since, we are using LineageOS 15.1, you’ll additionally get extremely useful applications, and advance features.
The LineageOS is one of the most popular custom Rom (after CyanogenMod). It offers very stable, and smoother user experience. Even better than stock. The LineageOS 15.1 is based on latest Google Android 8.1 Oreo operating system. So, you get complete access to new apps, and features of an Android 8.1 on your Xiaomi Redmi 4X. In addition, you’ll get access to LineageOS’s applications, and powerful customization features. This custom Rom is known for its stability, and performance. Means, you can expect good improvement in your Xiaomi Redmi 4X, in terms of performance.
Overall, the LineageOS is an ideal option if you’re looking to update your Redmi 4X. Though, the Rom is not official yet, but it has minimal bugs. As per the information given by the developer, everything works in this Rom. If you see bugs, probably, they will be wiped out in future builds. There is no harm in getting updated in this way. If you find any issue with this Rom, you can easily turn back to stock Rom by flashing stock firmware. Now, let’s discuss some prerequisites, and risk involved in this process.
Installing a custom Rom would void the warranty of the phone. So, you must aware yourself about warranty guidelines. And it wipes all the stuff being stored under the phone except external memory like an SD card. You must backup all the stuff that is important to you. Here are some perquisites that you must read, and follow:
- We dedicate this guide to Redmi 4X, and one should not apply it to any other smartphone. That can brick your phone, or even do worse. Check your device model number under About phone section.
- This process involves wiping-out. That means, it will delete all the things stored under the internal memory of the phone. Including apps, documents, photos, etc. Backup all before you proceed further, and have this custom Rom installed on your phone.
- As we have already discussed, proceeding will void the warranty of your phone. Once it is done, you’ll not get the support under the warranty terms. So, be completely sure about your actions. If something bad happens, then we’ll not be responsible for that.
- We highly recommend you to backup your current firmware (create a Nandroid Backup). This will help you to revert to old Rom whenever you want. To do that, just go into the recovery mode->advance options->use backup options.
- Charge your phone to a good extent. It shouldn’t die while we perform further actions.
Thoroughly read all the perquisites that we mention above, and then proceed further.
- Download the LineageOS 15.1 Rom for Xiaomi Redmi 4X from →here. Once you download the file, put it to the SD card of your phone.
- Download the GApps package from here: http://opengapps.org
Download both the files, and put them to your SD card. Remember the name, and location of these two files.
How to install LineageOS 15.1 Android 8.1 Rom on Xiaomi Redmi 4X
The process is very simple. You just need to flash these two files on your phone using the recovery mode. To install this Rom bug-less, we recommend to use a custom recovery like TWRP.
How to update Xiaomi Redmi 4X to latest Android operating system:
- Turn off your phone using the power button.
- Press, and hold Volume Up, and Power buttons together until you see Xiaomi logo. Now, release the buttons to enter into recovery mode.
- Now, perform: Wipe cache/factory reset under the recovery options. It will ensure that clean installation. If you’re in a TWRP recovery, perform Wipe.
- Now, flash the Rom file. Select ‘install zip from SD card’, then ‘choose zip from SD card’. Then, confirm your action. On TWRP recovery, use Install option.
- In a similar fashion, flash the Google apps package.
- Once you have done with both the files, reboot your phone.
At that moment, your phone will reboot, and bring you to a new home screen. Enter your Google account details to setup, and start using your phone. You’ve successfully updated your Xiaomi Redmi 4X to Android 8.1 operating system.
Now, enjoy the goodness of latest Android, and powerful features of LineageOS custom Rom. That ends our tutorial here, and we hope that our readers would like this post.