In this tutorial, we’ll know how to install Android 5.0 Lollipop on Samsung Galaxy S2 using an CyanogenMod 12 custom Rom. There are few more Lollipop based custom Roms are available but most of them are bit unstable and many bugs. However, after many builds, the 11th build of this CyanogenMod 12 Rom, most of the major bugs have been removed and stability has been regulated best for daily usage.
The only bug in this Rom is that in stock camera, HD video recording is not working. To make up for this issue, you can simply use any other camera app to make this function work. If you are looking to update your Samsung Galaxy S2 to Android 5.0 Lollipop operating system, feel free to install this Rom and have latest Android OS on your device. The CyangenMod 12 Rom for Samsung Galaxy S2 includes all stock applications along with powerful apps and features of CyanogenMod and much more.
Please read all the pre-requisites mentioned below and prepare your device accordingly. This Rom has been specifically ported for Samsung Galaxy S2 and meant nothing for any other mobile. Installing on different handset would load to brick or damage it.
Remember, everything stored under the phone’s memory would be removed. Make sure to save all the important data to some safe place. Visit our : Android Back up guide. To install this Rom, make sure you that you’ve installed latest CWM Recovery on your device as without it, it would not possible to install this Rom. Visit here to install CWM Recovery on your device.
We always recommend to back up your entire present Rom, it would be great for future purpose, in case you face any problem, you can immediately revert to back using that backup Rom. Simply follow our Android Back up guide mentioned above.
Charge your phone good extent, your phone should be alive all the time. We recommend to charge at-least 50%.
Screenshots of CyanogenMod 12 on Samsung Galaxy S2
- Get the CyanogenMod 12 Android 5.0 Lollipop Rom from here (cm-12-20150120-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip) or visit xda forum to download the latest firmware here.
How to install Android 5.0 Lollipop on Samsung Galaxy S2
- Firstly download the Rom listed above and put it SD card of your device. Remember the file name and location of it.
- Turn off the device and wait at least 5 seconds.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together to start the phone in recovery mode. Make sure you’ve installed CWM recovery.
- Under recovery mode, select “wipe data/factor reset” followed by “yes” on next screen to confirm the selection.
- Select “wipe cache partition” or “wipe cache data” followed by “yes” on next screen to confirm the selection.
- Select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card“, find and locate the downloaded Custom Rom zip file(cm-12-20150120-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip) and select “yes” on next screen to start the installation process.
- Once you done with installation, select “reboot system now”.
Your would restart and would take you to home screen very soon. For very first time, it may few minutes to get started, don’t worry, it’s normal.
All done, you’ve successfully updated your Samsung Galaxy S2 to Android 5.0 Lollipop using this CynogenMod 12 custom Rom. Feel free to share your experiments and experience with this device and we’ll be very happy to have your comment on our blog.