How to install Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100
Finally after long waiting, some stable, and high performance Android 4.4.2 KitKat are now being distributed by developers. It always takes some time to bring bug free version of Rom, it needs good efforts also. Just few days back, Samsung had announced KitKat updates for many devices but Galaxy S2 wasn’t present on their list. It is respected that, they will roll update in Q2 for 2014, or may take longer than that.
With high stability, this Rom comes with very high performance with minimal or no bugs inside of it. This feature rich Rom is good choice to update your device, as it has been distributed officially, so there won’t be any problem regarding to it. To install it successfully we recommend you to follow each step very carefully without skipping any of them. If you want to read more about this Rom then you must consider to visit the XDA Thread here.
Before going any further, read all the pre-requisites listed below, and prepare your device according to them. Read all the prerequisite that we mention below. Try to read them thoroughly.
- SlimKat Rom, and this guide is especially made only for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 handset, and meant nothing for any other device. So before installing it, make sure to check the model number of your device, it should be I9100.
- To install this Rom, you must be on custom recovery. Latest TWRP or CWM recovery is necessary to install this Rom, otherwise you will get bugs, and other issues after installing it. To install custom recovery, you can use Rom Manager app, it will easily install CWM recovery on your phone.
- Backup all the information stored under the phone, because installation process will go through complete wiping of internal memory. Go through our guide to backup Android phone to make it easy. Also, the guide includes the method to backup the current of the device.
- Make sure to enable to USB debugging on phone. To enable it, go to phone’s Settings->Developers Options->check the USB Debugging box.
- Charge the device to good extent. We recommend to charge at least 40% level, so it could easily survive during the installation.
→Get the latest built of SlimKat Rom from here. (Slim-i9100-4.4.2.build.3-OFFICIAL-3081.zip)
How to install SlimKat Rom on Galaxy S2 I9100
- Download both the files listed in download section, then put’em all to phone’s SD card. Remember the name, and location of the files.
- Turn off the device, and wait at least 5 seconds.
- Turn on the device by pressing, and holding Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together until Samsung’s logo gets appeared on screen. Then release the buttons, and you’ll be at recovery mode very soon.
- Under recovery mode, select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “yes” on next screen to confirm your selection.
- Now go to “mount and storage”, under it select “Format System”, followed by “yes” on next screen to let it perform.
- Get back to main menu, there select “install zip from sd card”, then “choose zip from sd card”, find and locate the downloaded SlimKat Rom zip file, and select “yes” on next screen to confirm the installation process.
- Similarly, install the Gapps zip package.
- Once you done with both the files, go back to main menu then select “reboot system now”.
Your phone will restart, and boot up to home screen. For first boot up, it can take some longer time than what it usually takes. So, don’t get panic, it is natural. Fill the Google account settings to get started with your phone.
Further to improve the device performance, you can visit our post on root apps for high performance and improve usability.