It is about my second year with Moto G (1 st gen) and it has been very good experience with this Android handset. Few months back got this device updated to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop with official update and now updated this Moto G to latest Android 6.0 Mashmallow using CyanogenMod 13 Nightly Rom, definitely it would take few months more for Moto G users to receive this update (may be) or if you do not wish to wait anymore than you could update it using a this custom Rom as I did.
Since the Android devices arrived our hands, CyanogenMod and other developers have been continuously bringing new roms and useful stuff for Android users. CyanogenMod Rom is one of most popular Rom, when it comes to high pe]rformance this Rom is always on top and it provides much smoother user experience too. However since this is Nightly Rom, you can expect some minor bugs and surely they will be rectified (if any) in coming builds. You’ll receive updates through OTA just like an official firmware.
Also this CyanogenMod Android 6.0 Mashmallow for Moto G is based on official stock firmware, that means you’ll be having all the benefits of stock Rom blended beutifully with many powerful features and CyanogenMod Applications. In this guide, we have mentioned all the steps you required to update your handset this latest Android firmware, however you’ll have to make sure that you will not skip any of steps mentioned here and first read them all carefully and then apply them.
Before we start, read all the pre-requisites mentioned below:
- This Rom is only meant for Motorola Moto G 1st Generation released in year 2013 and it should not be used or flashed on any other device. It could damage your device so be careful and check your device model first.
- We always recommend to save all your important data which is stored inside the device to same safe place as installation process will clean your device completely and it cannot be undo.
Recommended for you: A Complete Backup Solution For Android Devices
- Also Backup your device’s Rom for future aspects. In case you feel any problem with this Rom, you’ll be having this backup to get everything reverted. Learn more about Android backup process here.
- Make sure that you’ve rooted your device already and having custom recovery such TWRP or CWM, you’ll need them to flash this Rom successfully.
- Charge your device to good battery level, 40-50 percent is recommended to proceed further process.
→ Download the CyanogenMod 13 Marshmallow Rom from here.
→ Download the Google Apps package from here.
Put both the files to your device and remember them!
How to update Moto G to Android 6.0 Mashmallow
- Turn off the device and wait for 3-5 seconds.
- Now hold “Volume Down + Power” until your device gets started then release the buttons. You’ll boot into bootloader mode.
- Now use “Volume Down” key to navigate to Recovery option and select it to boot into recovery mode.
- For clean installation follow:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm the selection.
- TWRP: select ‘wipe’ and confirm the selection.
- Now install the Rom zip file,
- CWM – select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and confirm on next screen to flash the file.
- TWRP: select ‘install’ and confirm it.
- Similarly flash Google Apps package.
- Once you done with both the installation, from recovery option select reboot system now.
Your device will reboot and soon it will bring you to home screen. Enter your Google account details and setup your device through wizard.
Also you can checkout this below video tutorial for your reference:
Network Fix : Dual sim is working fine on the latest build so no need to download or flash this file (Ignore the step mentioned in video!)
That’s all! This is how you can update Moto G to latest Android 6.0 Marshmallow firmware using CyanogenMod 13 custom Rom. I hope this post helps you and don’t forget to share this post with your friends. Also don’t miss our list of Games that you can play on this handset → here.