Initially, the Samsung Galaxy S II was launched with Gingerbread operating systems, then updated to ICS and finally received Jelly bean update, there after no further update has been rolled out officially. In this post, we’ll help to update Samsung Galaxy S II to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop with CyanogenMod 12.1 latest Rom which is based on latest Android firmware.
Even through, Galaxy S2 is somewhat out from rage of smartphones, but still it would work good. Installing this CyanogenMod 12 Rom would be great, as it has many advantages. It will improve device performance, its productivity and great way to experience the latest Android operating system.
You must know that this Rom is still unofficial, however it’s perfectly good for daily usage, very less bugs. If want to know more about this Rom, visit the real thread over the xda forum here.
Install latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on Galaxy S2 using this Rom, it require low efforts and time to install this Rom. And in case you don’t like the Rom, just flash the stock Rom and get it back to old state. Lets get started, before we proceed read below mentioned pre-requisites to prepare your device,
This CyanogenMod Rom has been developed only for Samsung Galaxy S II and it should not be installed on any other device. Make sure to save all the important files stored under the device’s memory to some safer place as installation process will wipe out anything stored under device’s memory. Follow our → Android Backup Guide.
Make sure to back up your Rom as well. It would be great relief in case you need to revert to old Rom or in case of brick condition. Procedure is given in above mention backup guide. Enable USB debugging on your Device. Go settings, under it tap on Developers settings and then check the USB debugging box and confirm it. Charge your phone to good extent.
CyanogenMod 12 Lollipop on Galaxy S2 Review
- Download the CyanogenMod 12.1 Rom for Galaxy S2 from here.
- Download the Google Apps package from here.
After download both the files, put them into your device /SD card and remember the name and location of tiles.
How install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on Samsung Galaxy S2
- Firstly Turn off the device and wait for 5-7 seconds.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together until you see Samsung’s log and then release buttons and you’ll be routed to recovery mode (CWM or TWRP, you must have custom recovery).
- For clean installation, under the recovery mode, select “wipe data/factory reset” and select “yes” on next screen confirm the selection.
- Select “wipe cache partition” followed by “yes” on next screen to confirm the selection.
- Now select “install zip from sd card” then select “choose zip from sd card“, find and locate the downloaded Rom zip file and, select “yes” to begin the installation process. It might take several minutes to complete.
- Similarly, install Google apps package.
- Once you done with both the files, from recovery options select “reboot system now“.
Your phone will be starting and it would get you to new Lollipop home screen. Configure your accounts to get started with this new operating system.
So, you’ve successfully installed Android 5.1.1 based CyanogenMod Rom on Galaxy S2. Don’t miss our list of exclusive → list of screen recording apps built for Lollipop.