On 5th of march 2014, a senior Member of XDA Developers named “New Maclaw” has distributed a stable, and fully functioning Android 4.4.2 KitKat Rom for Samsung Galaxy SI3 Mini named “PAC-man 4.4.2“. This Rom is a cool combination of three best Roms, Paranoid Android, AOKP, and CyanogenMod.
Many other KitKat Roms are available, and some of them are quite good. But this Rom is one of most complete one, and completely safe to get updated. Apart from being stable, and smooth, it comes with tons of new, and improved features such HW acceleration, audio enhancements, Bluetooth 4.0 with LE with A2DP support, PAC-man functionality, CPU settings, HQ YouTube, SE Linux, auto EFS backup, and much more.
Overall, the Rom is good for daily usage, so lets start the update process without wasting time any more. First, go through all the pre-requisites listed below, and prepare the device accordingly. Here are some important prerequisites that you must follow:.
This Rom, and guide is made only for Samsung Galaxy S3 mini, so before going any further, first check the model no. of the device. It should be one from i8190, i8190L and i8190N. The update process will update the entire OS, and would remove all the data stored under the phone’s memory. We recommend to safe it before going any further. Follow our Android phone backup guide to do it easily.
For future safety, it is recommended to back up the current Rom of your device. To make it, you need to enter into the recovery mode, then look for “backup and restore“, and then “backup“. You need a windows based PC with internet connectivity for downloading the needed files.
Make sure to install USB driver of your Samsung Galaxy S3 mini on your PC. If you haven’t installed yet then visit here to download the installer package, and then install it.
Charge your device to good extent if possible.
→ Get the latest custom from this handset from here. Once you’ve downloaded the zip file, extract it, and then you should get .tar.md5 extension file under it.
→ Get the Odin flashing tool from here. Extract the downloaded package to your PC, under the extracted folder look for “Odin3 v3.07.exe” file.
How to install Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini
- Firstly run the “Odin3 v3.07.exe” file on PC from extracted Odin program folder. A Odin window would appear on PC.
- Now, turn off the device, and wait for 5 seconds.
- Press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power buttons together until a Warning! message gets appeared on-screen. Then press Volume UP to enter into the download mode.
- Connect the Phone to PC using USB cable, and look on Odin program window, over Com Port section, the device would be listed. And also an Added! text would be under the message box. If nothing happen in turn, then you first install the USB drivers, and then try it again.
- On Odin program, click on PDA button, then find, and locate the .tar.md5 extension file from extracted Rom zip file.
- Make sure that, Re-Partition check box option is un-checked. And don’t make any other changes.
- Click on “Start” button to start the installation process. Wait until the whole process get done.
- Once it get completed, a PASS message will appear on screen, and your phone would be restarting it self.
Now you can remove the device from computer. It might happen that it would get stuck on Samsung logo. If you face the very same problem, then follow the below steps.
Troubleshooting Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini Boot Stuck
- Turn off the device, and wait for 5 seconds.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together until Samsung Logo gets appeared on screen. Once it up, you’ll be entering to recovery mode.
- Under the recovery mode, perform the wipe data operation. Click on Wipe, then use slider on the bottom to let process begin.
- Once you finished, go back to main menu, and restart the system.
All done, you’ve succeeded to get a stable, and smooth KitKat Rom on Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini. If you have any problem regarding to this Rom or guide, then just come up with your comments. Moreover, if you love playing games on your handset then you must consider to visit our list of most addictive games for Android post.